A compare and contrast essay is a type of academic paper which analyzes the similarities and/or distinctions between two and more issues (subjects, persons, events, etc.). The writer’s aim is to present evidence proving how one discussed object has common features with another and/or in what way they differ.
Compare and contrast essays differ from other types of paper by its writing approaches concerning the main body:
- Point-by-point arrangement. Each paragraph should present a difference/similarity between compared subjects.
- Block arrangement. Each paragraph presents a separate subject and its particular features.
When you have chosen the structure for your paper, you may proceed to writing the whole paper, following several steps.
Steps to Write a Compare and Contrast Essay
- The first step to a good compare and contrast essay is proper research. Choose several subjects you want to compare and/or contrast and make sure they are really worth attention.
- State your thesis. Point out the strongest argument, as two compared subjects may be more similar than different and vice versa.
- Organize your paper. Compare and contrast essays should be well-structured. The main body depends on the thesis statement and the structure should be the following: Introduction → Body paragraphs → Competitive arguments acknowledgment → Conclusion.
- Put your paper aside for several days and then check and proofread it.
Useful Tips for Compare and Contrast Essay Writing
- Don’t neglect going to the library. Librarians not only can give you books and other sources to use, but also can suggest topics to work with.
- Start your research of two (or more) compared issues before you list their qualities, making sure the information is relevant and appropriate.
- Pay attention to details while writing a compare and contrast essay. Do your best to not provide generalizations and everyday sort of knowledge.
- Stick to your chosen approach, as the success of the whole paper depends on it and your professor will definitely pay attention to it.
- Consider your audience, making sure your paper topic is interesting to them.
- Be certain that the result of your compare and contrast essay will have value for your readers and you personally. If you can’t guarantee this, change your arguments or paper topic.
- Start writing your paper by specifying all the items you are going to discuss and compare.
- Paragraphs should be linked together in a logical manner.