Argumentative (persuasive) essays are a type of academic paper in which a writer tries to convince their audience to agree with their view, or to accept the presented arguments and share their way of thinking.
The argumentative essay writing process should include: establishing facts, clarifying relevant facts, prioritizing the main ideas, and stating proper conclusions. A well-written persuasive essay requires sticking to particular rules of writing to avoid committing missteps.
Steps to Write a Persuasive Essay
- Devote enough time to think about the topic you will enjoy writing about. You should have a solid opinion and at minimum, a decent level of knowledge on the subject. Keep in mind – some people should disagree with your point of view to convince them.
- Brainstorm. Before you start writing, choose several ideas you can write about. By being knowledgeable about your topic, you will be able to defend your point of view with more rigor. With your demonstration of expertise, your paper will sound more convincing .
- Carry out the research, find the most relevant sources and choose the most suitable ideas. Consider possible points of view of your opponents to dispel them successfully.
- Write the introduction. This paragraph should attract attention to your essay. State exactly what you are going to argue about, not mentioning a lot of details – leave them for the body paragraphs. The last introductory sentence should be your thesis statement – the main idea of your paper stated succinctly.
- Present your point of view – every new idea should be written as a new paragraph. There should be at least 3 paragraphs in your paper body.
- Conclude your essay. Restate your main point of view in a manner that readers will not easily forget.
- Proofread your paper attentively – make sure the spelling and grammar are correct.
Useful Tips for Persuasive Essay Writing
In writing your argumentative essay, you should convince your audience to accept your point of view or take some action. The best approach in order to achieve this is following several helpful tips:
- Plan your counter-arguments ahead of time. Take into consideration possible opposing points of view and try to dispel them in your argumentative essay.
- Don’t write too long of a paper – it is not as impressive as many students think.
- Work with facts, data and quotations. Always support your own ideas.
- Take into consideration your audience and keep to a specific tone.
- Always use synonyms. Avoid repeating the same word – try to replace it by others.
- Don’t repeat the same idea several times.
Now you know the main rules and tips for argumentative essay writing. To have a clearer understanding how an argumentative essay should be written, check out our argumentative essay examples.