When students are assigned to write a classification essay, their main task is to divide or organize different concept or object into categories, parts or elements.
Write a Classification Essay in Several Steps
There are three basic steps everyone has to follow to write an effective essay:
- First of all, you have to think of all possible parts of a particular concept or object.
- Then you have to choose what you believe are the most important aspects of your selected object or concept. Make sure that each category is related to the other (they all should follow a common organizing principle).
- For instance, you’re classifying different types of jobs. That means you can divide them into full-time jobs, part-time jobs and freelance jobs. This is the first organizing principle. Next you can divide them into creative jobs and office routine jobs, first jobs and dream jobs and so on. The main task for you is to keep to the selected criteria when classifying your topic.
- Lastly, you have to support each item of your classification with in-depth information about each category.
Useful Tips for Classification Essay Writing
- One of the most challenging activities in essay writing is producing a thesis statement. Usually, a good thesis statement consists of the topic of your essay and how you are going to classify it. You do not have to name all of the classified elements: it would be enough just to indicate the principle you use in your essay. For example, you may say: “The citizens of Guatemala involve themselves in three types of jobs: a, b, c…” This format will make it clear for your readers what exactly you will be discussing in the essay.
- Also, it is important to use transitions when writing body paragraphs. Here are the most popular ones: subsequently, firstly, initially, lastly, in regard to, in terms of, etc.
- A lot of students forget that writing a lot of content does not guarantee them success in the completion of their essays. Another popular mistake is using too many elements of a classified object. It’s always better to choose less, but describe them properly, than choosing 5 or 7 aspects, but say little about them.
- Avoid mixing various classification criteria. It is not good to start to write about part-time jobs, freelance jobs and then move onto to describing creative jobs.
Now you know the main rules and tips for classification essay writing. To have a clearer understanding of how a classification essay should be written, check out our classification essay examples.